Thursday, January 20, 2011

Understanding the Times


The churches addressed in Revelations 3 are:
  1. Ephesus
  2. Smyrna
  3. Perganum
  4. Thyatira
  5. Sardis
  6. Philadelphia
  7. Laodicea

The Characteristics of the Seven Churches1

  1. All the Churches receive a message from Jesus.
  2. They represent the visible church, which includes all professing believers whether they really are or not, not the universal/invisible Church.
  3. Jesus has something against five of the Churches and nothing against two
  4. Jesus finds good in six of the Churches and nothing good about one
  5. Jesus is intimately aware of the state of each Church
Interpretation:
  1. The letters are for seven literal churches existing in Johns day, and seven types of churches which will exist during the Church Age.

    This statement has broad agreement.

  2. While all seven types of churches always exist, one type dominates a particular era of the church history.

    This statement is controversial amongst pre-millennial theologians and is known as the "Historical-prophetic interpretation".
Church History Divisions:
  1. Ephesus - AD 30-100 Apostolic Church
  2. Smyrna - AD 100-313 Roman Persecution
  3. Pergamum - AD 313-600 Age of Constantine
  4. Thyatira - AD 600-1517 Dark Ages
  5. Sardis - AD 1517-1648 Reformation
  6. Philadelphia - AD 1649-1900 Missionary Movement
  7. Laodicea - AD 1900 - Present Apostasy
Rev 3:14-22 - The Letter to the Laodicean Church

    And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.


Footnotes:

  1. Dr Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum, The Footsteps of the Messiah, pp 47 - 90