Monday, January 24, 2011

Why is the church losing its young people?


A must read editorial from creation.com. Why is the church losing its young people?

If we cast doubt upon the validity of the Scriptures (Bible), we cast doubt on everything that is "Christian". If we adopt an attitude that makes the Bible no more that a series of myths or legends then we have no grounds upon which to make claim to anything of greater value than Greek or Roman mythology.

Genesis 1:1-11 is foundational to the entire cannon of Scripture. Without it, neither Christianity nor Judaism has any validity. This principle was exemplified by a conversation I had with one of my many ex-brother-in-laws many years ago.

My brother-in-law handed me a book en-titled Women hating writings. Naturally enough, within the pages of this book was a snippet from the Bible, taken out of context. Of course a (convivial) conversation ensued about the "lies" in the Bible. He held the position the Bible was untrue and could not be relied upon and I of course attempted to refute this. My final statement was "I would never give up my life for a fairytale," to which he responded "exactly."

This is the damage done to the reputation of the Christian Faith by those who deny the validity and historical accuracy of the Bible. No less than the salvation of those who do not yet know Messiah (Christ) has been lost because of this wholesale abrogation of the truth by those who profess its belief.